Friday, January 1, 2016

One word for 2016: open

This is my 7th year of choosing one word to guide me and sustain me throughout the new year. This is a practice that was pioneered by Ali Edwards and it has grown to encompass many creatives around the globe. Choosing a special word is a way of crystallizing your thoughts and choosing a direction to go in. This does not bind you to a set plan for the year and you are free to change direction as the year progresses.

My word for 2016, open, came to me easily this year and it grew out of my word for 2015, love. I have an altered card deck that I made which has words that hold meaning for me and this year I chose a card from that deck.




The word open holds a lot of deep and heartfelt meaning for me. It is a very versatile word and it can be used in a variety of connotations. Here are a few thoughts that this word brings to mind.

Open your hands if you want to be held. ~Rumi

Open the door to new opportunities and change.

Open your heart to love.

Open the window to creativity and vision.

Open yourself to healing and forgiveness.

Be open with yourself; know who you are.

Open your mind to new ideas.

Let others open doors for you.


The words I chose over the past 6 years happen to be in that altered card deck but most of the previous words pre-date the card deck and were not chosen that way.





The previous  words chosen in order were 2015: love, 2014: trust, 2013: grow, 2012: be, 2011: focus, and 2010: create. There is a blog post for the word grow here. There is a blog post for the word be here. And there is a blog post for the word focus here.

No comments:

Post a Comment