Sunday, September 18, 2016

Ikea Run

My son Joe and his girlfriend Aurora and I made a run to Ikea in New Haven to get furniture for my art/quilt studio Saturday afternoon. I had already picked out furniture last month when we made an IKEA run to get furniture (two apothecary cabinets with glass shelves) for my son's dining room. So I had all the aisle and bin numbers on printouts in my huge pocketbook and we bypassed the store area and headed right for the product picking area. We found everything on my list and Joe looked at our cart full of boxes and the conversation went something like this:

Joe: I don't know if this is going to fit in my car. This is a lot of stuff.
Me: Well, it will probably be tight but hopefully it will fit.
Joe: If we get it going fast enough, the mass will decrease and it will fit {that's physics}.
Me: You need a bigger car, like a minivan :-)

Being an engineer, he managed to get everything into the car (he has 60/40 split rear seats in his VW GTI) but there was not much room left for the rear passenger. I' m small so I jumped in the back seat before he could say anything and held onto the table on top of the pile so it wouldn't hit me in the head. Off we went and I managed to text from my precarious position while we were underway :-)



An hour later we were back at the condo at Lake Pocotopaug and Joe and Aurora unloaded the car and started assembling the tables. I am not the strongest or handiest person in the world so my job was to break down and cut up all the cardboard for the recycling bins. And I moved the temporary wire cube shelving and all the art/quilt stuff in there out of the way. After they got the tables set up, they put together the 5 foot by 5 foot Kallax cube storage shelving unit. It looked complicated but they said it was easy. They had to run out and meet friends for dinner and board games so they worked fast :-) Afterwards I rearranged all my stuff and sat on the love seat totally amazed. It looks beautiful! And I am living in a smaller space yet it seems so big to me.





1 comment: